Yet too often, they and their ideas are not heard or taken seriously. For a variety of reasons. Some valid, some not. All, however, can be overcome, freeing these rebel thinkers to better help their organizations survive and thrive.
Our mission: empower creative, original thinkers with the skills and mindsets needed to create meaningful change at work.
With my Rebels at Work co-founder Carmen Medina, the retired deputy director of intelligence the CIA, we have spent thousands of hours over the past three years writing about rebels, speaking about rebels, and talking to hundreds of rebels around the world. (By rebel I mean change maker, not troublemaker.)
All their rebel stories, while distinct, are quite similar at the core. Almost all are sincere in just wanting to help their organizations and believe–modestly or immodestly–that they have at least part of the answer on how to improve their workplaces. Yet most don’t have the skills to take a great idea and make it real.
We help those “Leaders Everywhere” learn the skills they need to create change from within, skills like:
- Positioning and communicating change
- Managing controversy and conflict (all change is controversial.)
- Cultivating support and collaboration
- Developing resiliency
Leaders hire Foghound to coach teams leading important change initiatives and/or mentor and develop their teams so that they become much much more effective change agents, learning to lead from within. The nature of these engagements are typically:
- Four-month coaching cycles for teams working on a major change initiative. The goal: take giant steps in advancing or completing the project, and learn invaluable new skills that will empower team members in subsequent projects as well.
- Intensive two-day “Leaders Everywhere” workshops designed for an organization’s high potential change agents. The goal: imprint fundamentals, including The 10 Ten Best and Worst Practices of Change Makers, facilitating conflict, communicating change, identifying and overcoming hidden obstacles, earning trust, overcoming fear, anger and frustration.
Eight week Leaders Inside 101 online learn/do courses. The goal: begin to practice new habits essential to leading change by putting what you learn each week to work, and sharing experiences and questions in safe, small group community moderated by Lois Kelly.
- Facilitating high-stakes meetings to address gnarly issues and collaboratively create best way forward plans for important change initiatives. The goal: model how to facilitate conflict AND move the change initiative ahead. The facilitation allows the change agents to fully participate in an important strategy session, and see how “difficult” meetings can be designed and led in ways that encourage needed debate and disagreement.
While more and more of our work is empowering people inside organizations to create change we still offer these two programs simply because Lois loves the value they provide and how much clients have benefited from them. Please click on the link to see program details and outcomes.
- Uncovering the soul of your organization: uncovering and bringing alive what your organization believes in, wants to achieve, and the principles by which people want to work. A creative, unusual approach to developing strategy that sticks.
- Customer advisory boards that mean something: catalyzing new connections and conversations to grow important relationships and find win-win insights.
Clients: making a difference
- Boston Coach
- DST Systems
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Fidelity Investments
- Harvard Institute of Coaching
- Hewlett Packard
- Monster Worldwide
- The Rhode Island Foundation
- Sun Microsystems
- TJX: Marshall’s, TJMaxx, HomeGoods
- The Conference Board
- University of Massachusetts
- Weber Shandwick
- Women & Infants Hospital